Published Thu Mar 08, 2018 | Posted in Pets | By Linda Jenkinson |
Reasons for Doggy Diarrhea
One of the most frustrating aspects of having a dog is that he can't tell you when he is sick. In fact, a lot of dogs are pros at hiding illness until their symptoms become physical. These tell-tale signs of illness are often, well … funky. For instance, diarrhea. Even after it starts, the why of it can remain a mystery.
To vet or not to vet? That is the question and the answer can depend on several factors.
- How often does it occur? Is it a constant or an occasional thing?
- What's she been eating?
- Poor quality food can mean poor quality poops.
- Feeding canned food only may result in looser poops than if you add some kibble to a canned diet.
- How much is he eating? There is such a thing as too much of a good thing!
- Your dog could be allergic to something in her dog food even if it is one of the better brands. Food allergies can develop over time, so don't thnk just because you have successfully fed one brand or type of dog food, that the food isn't the problem — it could be.
- On the other hand, changing brands of dog food too often can also upset a dog's digestion.
- Is your dog up to date on all his vaccinations? If not, he my have a viral problem that will need immediate veterinary attention.
Diarrhea Home Remedies
Before you call your vet, you may want to try some "urgent care". These are both suggestions my vet made when I called for advice.
- If everything else is okay and diarrhea is just an occasional problem, you can give the dog one (just one) imodium tablet. That should help him out just the same as it would help you. One tablet is not dangerous, but if that doesn't work, do call your vet.
- A mixture of rice, sweet potato (cooked) and chicken broth is easy on a dog's stomach and will also help clump things up and dogs love it.
Heads Up! If you do take your dog to the vet, bring a stool sample with you. It will save you a trip outdoors and your dog some extra discomfort.
Please share your thoughts in the comments below.
This thread has been closed from taking new comments.